Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Green Halloween


We are one of those families who hand out Halloween pencils, plastic rings, ghost pencil sharpeners and other non food, little treats. I believe in candy in moderation, with allergies this often makes even more sense. Although I always buy dairy free candy for my allergic child, to have in moderation.

I just found out about Green Halloween

From their website:
"While most of the neighborhood handed out the requisite Tootsie Rolls and M ‘n M’s , a few homes placed non-candy treats like bubbles and stickers in my girls’ pumpkins. I was so thrilled that someone thought outside the candy-box, that while shouting, “Thank You!” at the top of my lungs, I made a note to myself to remember to trick-or-treat at these homes the following year. But after winding through several streets in the dark, I had already forgotten which homes were candy-free. I mentioned to a nearby parent, “Wouldn’t it be great if there were a sign you could place on your door or window that notified trick-or-treaters that their upcoming treat would be healthy?” This way, parents could seek out those homes and turn trick-or-treating into a scavenger hunt – a hunt for treasures rather than treats.

I began thinking about Halloween as a whole and about how it is hard to find treats that are kid healthy. Some parents I know spend weeks researching where to find affordable, kid-friendly, and for some, Earth-friendly treats. But most parents don’t have the time, inclination or money to seek out alternatives to conventional candy. They may not like offering traditional candy, but what other options do they have? Wouldn’t it be terrific if affordable, kid and Earth-healthy treats and treasures were available everywhere? read more

No comments: