Sunday, August 3, 2008

Our Trip


Traveling with food allergies, takes planning, but can be done. Last week we went on a small trip to Kitchener Waterloo in Ontario. We planed a couple of day trips that allowed us to take our own food.

Children’s Museum with interactive exhibits that where great for kids. Along side the museum was Exhibit CafĂ© that had both vegan and gluten free options.

Doon Heritage Crossroads where we visited pioneer village set in 1914. The children weaved rugs, help feed animals and we toured the village sawmill, general store and more.

I then researched some allergy friendly restaurants Swiss Chalet, Zen Garden and Valentino’s Organic Pizza. At Swiss Chalet we had a milk free dinner. At Valetino’s Organic Pizzeria we had dairy free pizza that was wonderful for our allergic child.

We tried to go to the Zen Garden, it is an all vegetarian, mostly vegan restaurant. They had delays with their supplier of dairy free ice cream, so this was disappointing.

Across from the Zen Garden we visited the magic shop Kind of Magic and interesting new and used book store mostly for children called Read For Your Life. We visited a few other downtown shops.

When I booked the hotel I also requested a fridge for our room. We brought little packets of dairy free porridge to heat up for breakfast, and lots of food for our outings.

2 comments:

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife said...

Hi there! Nice to meet you! Thanks for sending me your site so I could add you to my dairy free blogroll!

I am quite jealous that you have allergy friendly restaurants! Here in the deep south, we can't find anything like that. I'm also too afraid to go to a restaurant for fear of cross contamination. Maybe one day we'll have an allergy friendly restaurant.

Sounds like you had a great trip! Again, so glad to meet you! Please pop in at my place whenever you like! :)

Becky @ BoysRuleMyLife & MustFollowRecipes

Karen said...

Becky thanks for the link!

I was delighted that the dairy free pizza shop, made dairy free pizzas on a dairy free table with different equipment, so I felt good about going.