Thursday, June 24, 2010

Cross Contamination

Have you ever gotten into arguments with grocery store staff, I have.

At one store, I explained to the person in the meat counter that I have a milk allergic daughter, and that I have been enjoying Lilydales meat products with their new "No milk ingredients" on what appears to be all their packaging. I then asked if they had any more Lilydale products other that the ones I was pointing to.

She proudly took me to the deli with the meat butcher, who could slice me Lilydale meat. We had a conversation about cross contamination, she thought that cross contamination only applied to nuts, then tried to convince me that they had a lot of lactose free milks. Needless to say I was not impressed, an had an educational discussion with her.

The next time I was at the same store, their was a sign for gluten free meat, that was also lactose free (no info if it was dairy free) next to a butcher that was willing to cross contaminate it with his slicer! Apparently some people never learn.

Past post on Lilydale here.

Sorry for the lack of posts, to much going on here, If your interested in doing a guest post over the summer send me an e-mail.

No comments: