Sunday, August 29, 2010

Cafe DaVinci Review


Elizabeth Goldenberg, President of Onespot Allergy is our guest blogger sharring one of her favorite places to eat with her peanut allergic son, and family in Bayfield, Ontario.

I love spending time in Bayfield, Ontario in the summer. Not only are the beaches beautiful and the shops lovely, but in this town of 600 residents and a two block main street, one cafe's service for people with food allergies stands out. It's Cafe DaVinci, which is located right in the center of main street.

The owners are Carlos Murguia Aguilar and Doug Marr, who over the years have become friends of mine. I first met Carlos when I wandered into the cafe the spring it opened: I was scoping out safe restaurants in anticipation of our cottage week later that summer. Carlos was very gracious, answered my questions, and allowed me to read the labels I needed to read. With our peanut and tree nut allergic son, we're able to eat everything except one salad, the bakery rolls, and the desserts. Because there are some nuts used on site, precautions are taken to work in a clean area and not cross-contaminate our son's food. We've probably eaten there fifty times, and it has always worked out well for us.

I love the ambiance in the cafe, with its wooden floors and fixtures, the front and back patios, and the walls covered with original fine art. Doug Marr is an oil painter and Carlos is a fine art photographer. They were the owners of an art gallery in Cape Cod, and they now display their art work proudly both in the cafe and in the art gallery behind the cafe.

My favorite item on the lunch menu is the grilled vegetable panini. They grind wonderful coffee on site, and the blended iced cappuccino is wonderful with it. I just noticed a new item on the breakfast menu, which is warm bread pudding with whipped cream, and I can't wait to try it. The servers are very friendly, and we're always very well treated there.

I suggest dropping by the cafe to discuss your allergy concerns (avoid busy service times) or call ahead. If you decide to go, they're open seven days a week from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. If you do go, please let Doug and Carlos know that Elizabeth Goldenberg sent you.

Cafe DaVinci, 14 Bayfield Main Street, Bayfield, Ontario, 519 565-4076.


Elizabeth Goldenberg, President
Onespot Allergy
Onespot Blog

No comments: