I saw a new product from President's Choice made inpart from tree nuts
PC fire logs burns up to four hours made from recycled biomass product such as wood, sawdust, ground tree nut shells and blended wax burns cleaner than wood comes in set of 6
UPDATE This product is no longer being made, however other brands of firelogs made with nut shells are still on the market.
More products made from nuts
Is PC Really Allergy Friendly
More Things that Have Nuts in Them
Fire logs Made From Nuts (more brands of fire logs)
At least the ingredients are clearly disclosed, but I would much prefer that tree nuts were left out of the mix, for the sake of the growing numbers of nut allergic consumers. People don't expect to find tree nuts in a fire log, and might miss this issue.
Imagine our children visiting a friend where one of these logs is burning.
What if a restaurant decided to burn it.
How would we know...?
Nuts must be consumed orally in order to create an allergic reaction. Just teach your children to not chew on firelogs.
To Anonymous ~ That's not correct. If you spend even a moment looking into nut allergies, you will see that allergic reactions can occur from contact and from inhalation.
You are mistaken. Nuts can cause allergic reactions through skin contact and inhalation of particles. Reactions can be caused by indirect contact-touching a surface that has residue from the allergen even if the allergen itself is not visible. Severe reactions can also be caused by hand to mouth contact (such as touching one of the fire logs and then biting your nail), hand to contact with mucous membranes (nose/eyes).
Being uneducated about allergies is one thing, but it's extremely insensitive and offensive to make a sarcastic comment on an article that's purpose is only to alert parents who have to be vigilant to protect their children of a possible risk they may not have thought of.
Post a Comment